What is a Peer Support Program?
A Peer Support program consists of co-workers who are trained to identify various symptoms, challenges, and aid their fellow co-workers by providing support.
Peer supporters are trained to listen with empathy and understanding. They're also trained to know when to refer to a higher level of care.
Trained Peer Supporters help individuals handle their personal problems through active listening, action plans, and referral if necessary.
Peer Support helps decrease the day-to-day stress of those working in stressful environments.
It can also help lessen the emotional strain of critical incidents, as well as prevent the accumulation of frustration, anger, and helplessness, which could lead to alcohol abuse, substance abuse, depression, domestic violence, and suicide.
How do I get a program started?
I recommend introducing the Peer Support program to your department through a half-day training course on Developing a Peer Support Program.
This course will lay the foundation of Peer Support for your department, and would provide assistance with:
- Understanding the purpose and importance of having a Peer Support program
- Creating selection criteria to nominate individuals as potential Peer Supporters
- Suggest personal characteristics of effective Peer Supporters to aid in your selection process
- Provide you with the responsibilities of Peer Supporter’s based on your departmental needs
The hosting agency will provide:
- A commitment to a minimum of 24 paid class participants
- A projector screen, projector, and access to an audio system, as well as someone on-hand to assist with equipment issues
- Printed copies of student workbooks, exercises, handouts, and other relevant supplemental materials
- A training room arranged with the tables and chairs in the shape of a “U”
- Morning and afternoon beverages and snacks for multiple-day presentations, as well as someone on-hand to replenish these items throughout the day
- Suggestions for lodging and a list of local restaurants within the area
- Class advertising to ensure the minimum participant requirement is reached (if the class is open to outside agencies)
Your Next Steps
Enjoy the benefits of a well-adjusted and productive team
SCHEDULE A CALL
We'll take a few minutes and discuss your situation to determine your best plan of action.
HOST THE TRAINING
We'll provide interactive training to give your staff the tools and confidence to support each other.
Having trained, empathetic peers to talk to will keep your team healthy and productive.
The advantages of hosting?
- Avoid having to pay travel costs to send students to other locations
- Keep your personnel close in case of an emergency
- Showcase your agency and your community. Bring revenue to local businesses.
- For additional information please contact Dr. Leger at 337-302-6624.